Friday, March 13, 2009

curried eggplant with tomatoes and basil


I received my April issue of Real Simple the other day, and in perusing various cleaning tips and new uses for old things (none of which I will ever use), I happened upon this recipe. AND, I had an eggplant in the fridge, an unused leftover from my Sunday tapas party (more on that later!) and decided that I would try it. I like curry. And chickpeas. And i really liked this. And it took all of about 30 minutes to make. So, perfect for a weeknight meal!

Curried eggplant with tomatoes and basil
from Real Simple, April 2009
serves 4

1 cup white basmati rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 pints cherry tomatoes (I used 1, and it was more than enough), halved
1 eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh basil

Cook rice according to package instructions.

Heat oil in a sauce or saute pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes, eggplant, curry powder, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.


Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook until eggplant is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cook just until heated through, about 3 minutes.

Remove from heat, stir in basil, and serve over rice. Enjoy!

- e

3 comments:

Jill said...

do you think you could make this with something other than eggplant?

Unknown said...

this sounds really good and like it would be a perfect weeknight meal. i must try it!
jill, since i haven't tried it i don't know if this is a good suggestion or not but maybe zuccini instead of eggplant?

Chris said...

Looks really tasty. I never really know what to do with eggplant because I've never found that it has much of a taste of its own. Perhaps curry is the answer :)