Wednesday, February 17, 2010

dark and white chocolate cherry cookies


In less than 6 months of dating, Andy and I have managed to cover Christmas, Valentine's Day, and, as of tomorrow, both of our birthdays. And while I'm not really into the whole Hallmark holiday aspect of V-day, I do appreciate the notion of expressing your feelings to the one you love. That, and I went to see Valentine's Day, the new Gary Marshall film, the week before and melted into a puddle of mush. I succumbed to the fervor. And I made these cookies. Half went to Andy, and half went to my brother and sister-in-law (because the recipe makes so many!).

I really like these cookies, and thought to make them for Valentine's because my mom used to send them to me for Valentine's Day when I was in college. Though rather decadent, the tang of the cherries offsets the rich, sweetness of the chocolate. The cookie base, isn't all that different from the standard Toll House recipe. And I imagine, if you really wanted to, you could probably throw some chopped pecans in there. In case four cups of chocolate isn't quite enough for you.

White and Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies

The InnKeeper’s Kitchen at the Dilworthtown Inn

1 cup brown sugar

½ cup granulated sugar

12 oz. butter

2 eggs

2 heaping cups all-purpose flour

2 cups white chocolate (chips or bar, chopped)

2 cups dark chocolate (chips or bar, chopped)

1 cup dried cherries, soaked in warm water

¼ tsp. baking powder

Pinch salt

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugars and mix until incorporated.
  3. Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, mixing well.
  4. Combine the salt, baking powder and flour. Slowly add to the batter mixing until about half the flour is incorporated.
  5. Drain the cherries. Add the chocolates and cherries to the batter.
  6. Scoop about a tablespoon sized ball onto parchment paper lined sheet pans, keeping about 1 inch between each ball of cookie. When you have filled the tray, lightly press down on the dough to flatten out.
  7. Place in oven and bake for about 7 minutes. Rotate pan around and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until the cookies become golden brown on the edges.
  8. Cool completely on racks before packing.
  9. Makes 30-40 cookies (or more like 60!).

Enjoy!

- e

No comments: