Monday, July 27, 2009

farmers' market feast



I really love the farmers' market . . . the bounty of fresh local produce. The varieties of berries and beans that you never, ever see in the supermarket. Foraged mushrooms. One dollar strudel sticks. The friendly farmers who truly care about the product they are selling. I could go on and on, but I will spare you! Suffice to say that come summer time, I am happy to roam around outside, picking out my produce in the open air.



What follows is not so much a recipe, but a celebration of truly fresh ingredients, prepared very simply, allowing the sweetness of the tomatoes and the crispness of the haricot verts to stand out.

I bought the most beautiful, super-skinny, haricot verts and wax beans, blanched them (they were in the boiling water for all of 2 minutes before I drained them and shocked them in cold water), seasoned them with salt and pepper, and drizzled with olive oil.



I also bought this crazy purple, green and white beans, called dragon's lingerie - oh my! - and sauteed them with garlic and olive oil. Also seasoned with salt and pepper.



And I served both beans with some gorgeous and very flavorful heirloom tomatoes. The plate looked beautiful and everything was delicious!

enjoy!

- e

No comments: